Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Glitter stripe mason jar! DIY

How to make glittery mason jars like this for floating candles (or whatever you fancy)

SUPPLIES: 
Mason jar 
Blue painters tape
E6000 
Fine glitter in your color choice (mine is gold Martha Stewart glitter from the $1 section in target)
Glue wash (Elmer's glue with a little water in it)

1) taping off the mason jar

This is how I went about creating "stipes" on the mason jar with blue painters tape... I tried to create as even a ring as I could by placing a small piece of tape in between using it as a guide (see photo) I then removed the guide bits before gluing the photo is of the last guide tape I removed. 


Three very even rings!!!

2) slap on the glue baby

I then squirted E6000 around each ring on the glass and spread it out generously to the tape with a black foam brush. You have to be quick. This glue dries fast. There aren't a lot of pics because of that. 

3) 1st layer of glue
 This is the E6000 with the first layer of glue. It was really pretty at this stage but I wanted a thick layer of glitter. You could still see some thin spots. I let it dry for about fifteen minutes then took some glue wash (seen here in the bowl and what it looks like on the magnet:)


4) 2nd layer

Ipainted on a light layer over the glitter area.  And rolled it in glitter for a se

You can see the glitter is denser here. Yay! 

5) let it dry 
I left mine to dry over night but four hours or so should do the trick.  (Sorry I did not get a pic of this step)

6) carefully remove tape
My line did come out really straight I just had to slowly remove the tape so as not to rip the edges of the glitter. 

And ta-dah!!!!!

(Ps the jars behind them are actually pickle jars I made look like mercury glass)




I am really pleased with how this turned out and it looks awesome on my kitchen table!!












No comments:

Post a Comment